|SLOW COOKER CHICKEN AND WILD RICE SOUP|
Because I just did.
And I’m speechless.
Are there more episodes?
Or are we supposed to use our imagination for the ending?
I’m just so confused.
Let’s talk about this soup instead.
This crockpot chicken mushroom wild rice soup.
Which is basically like chicken noodle soup.
Except way creamier.
And extra mushrooms.
And because it’s super cold.
And also because I’m still confused about Gilmore Girls.
YIELD: 8 SERVINGS PREP TIME: 15 MINUTES COOK TIME: 8 HOURS TOTAL TIME: 8 HOURS 15 MINUTES
Pure creamy comfort food made right in your crockpot! So quick, easy, and hearty with veggies, rice and chicken!
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup wild rice
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 carrots, peeled and diced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 pound cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup half and half*
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Season chicken with salt and pepper, to taste. Place chicken into a 6-qt slow cooker.
- Stir in chicken stock, wild rice, garlic, onion, carrots, celery, thyme, rosemary and bay leaves; season with salt and pepper, to taste. Cover and cook on low heat for 6-8 hours. Add mushrooms during the last 30 minutes of cooking time.
- Remove chicken from the slow cooker and shred, using two forks.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in flour until lightly browned, about 1 minute. Whisk in milk and half and half, and cook, whisking constantly, until slightly thickened, about 4-5 minutes; season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Stir chicken and milk mixture into the slow cooker. If the soup is too thick, add more half and half as needed until desired consistency is reached.
- Serve immediately, garnished with parsley, if desired.
*Half and half is equal parts of whole milk and cream. For 1 cup half and half, you can substitute 3/4 cup whole milk + 1/4 cup heavy cream or 2/3 cup skim or low-fat milk + 1/3 cup heavy cream.