Recipe type: breakfast, lunch
- ½ - ⅔ cups grated cheddar or tasty cheese (or any other melting cheese) (Note 2)
- 2 soft large wraps / tortillas (approx 23 cm / 9" diameter) (Note 1)
- 110-150g / 3.5-5 oz ham slices (Note 3)
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F (all oven types).
- Place 2 pieces of foil on a work surface and spray with oil (any).
- Place tortilla on foil. Place ham in the middle of the tortilla, making sure you arrange it so it is flat, not a mound (harder to keep egg in place). Even better, create a shallow crater shape using off ham off cuts and shavings.
- Place cheese in the middle of the ham, the form into a ring.
- Working quickly (one pocket at a time), crack an egg into the ring then fold the bottom and top edges in, then the left and right side to form a package (see video below recipe). Then wrap in foil. DO NOT TURN UPSIDE DOWN!!! (Egg will leak)
- Place on baking tray.
- Bake for 25 minutes. Check to ensure yolk is cooked by poking the pocket, you will feel the dome shape of the yolk. The base and edges should be crispy and the top will be soft.
- Unwrap immediately (otherwise will sweat and lose crispiness). Serve hot!
1. I use Mission soft wraps and large tortillas.
2. You can use any cheese that melts, like Monterey Jack, Gruyere, even Swiss. I usually don't make this with mozzarella cheese because it doesn't have as much flavour, but can if you want to!
3. I made this with leftover Christmas ham sliced pretty thinly. But you can use any ham you want - or even sub with other cured meat of choice.
4. This is not suitable for freezing because cooked whites go a bit rubbery. If you want to make these to freeze, use a fork to whisk the egg before pouring it into the cheese ring. Cook for 20 minutes, then unwrap and allow to cool. Then wrap in cling wrap (or foil if you want to reheat in oven), place in airtight containers and freeze. To reheat, thaw then either reheat at 180C/350F in oven for 10 minutes or in the microwave (1 minutes on high should be enough)
Serving size: 194g Calories: 415 cal Fat: 20.1g Saturated fat: 9.1g Unsaturated fat: 0g Trans fat: 0g Carbohydrates: 34.8g Sugar: 1.1g Sodium: 921mg Fiber: 5.2g Protein: 25.0g Cholesterol: 222mg