CREAMY SUN DRIED TOMATO PARMESAN CHICKEN (NO CREAM)
A Creamy Sun Dried Tomato Parmesan Chicken with Mushrooms that is Gluten Free and made with NO HEAVY CREAM.....or ANY cream.....at ALL!
For The Chicken:
- 2 tablespoons finely grated fresh Parmesan cheese (do not include for dairy free option)2 large boneless and skinless chicken breasts, halved horizontally to make 4 fillets
- 2 tablespoons Tapioca flour (or all purpose or plain flour/s)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Cracked pepper
|CREAMY SUN DRIED TOMATO PARMESAN CHICKEN (NO CREAM)|
For The Sauce:
- 1½ cups milk (reduced fat, skim or full fat milk) *SEE NOTES FOR DAIRY FREE OPTIONS
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch (cornflour) mixed with 2 tablespoons of water**
- 2 tablespoons reserved sun dried tomato oil (or olive oil)
- 200g | 7oz jarred sun dried tomato strips in oil, drained (reserve 2 tablespoons of oil for cooking)
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms (250 g | 8 oz)
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- ⅓ cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese (do not include for dairy free option)
- 2 tablespoons fresh shredded basil, to serve
- In a shallow bowl, combine the flour and parmesan cheese. Season the chicken with salt and pepper; dredge in the flour mixture; shake off excess and set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the reserved oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Fry the chicken in batches until golden on each side, cooked through and no longer pink (about 3-4 minutes, depending on the thickness of your chicken). Transfer onto a warm plate.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil to the skillet; sauté the garlic until fragrant (about 1 minute). Add the sun dried tomatoes and mushrooms; fry until the mushrooms are just soft.
- Reduce heat to low-medium heat, add the milk and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Season with salt and pepper to your taste.
- Add the milk/cornstarch mixture to the centre of the pan, and continue to simmer while quickly stirring the mixture through until the sauce thickens.
- Add in the parmesan cheese; allow sauce to simmer for a further minute until cheese melts trough the sauce. Add the chicken back into the pan; sprinkle with the fresh basil and a title extra pepper (optional), and serve over pasta, rice or steamed veg.
*Substitute milk with almond, rice, oat, or coconut milk. Alternatively, if using cream in place of milk, do not add the cornstarch mixture. You won't need it.
**For a gluten free option, find GLUTEN FREE Cornstarch where available