Recipe type: Side, Vegetables
* 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, separated
* ½ tsp salt (adjust to your taste)
* 2 medium heads of broccoli (see notes)
* 2 garlic cloves, finely sliced
* 1½ tbsp lemon juice
* Black pepper
* Zest of half a lemon
* 2 tbsp freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F.
- Cut broccoli into florets and piled onto baking tray.
- Drizzle with 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, scatter with garlic, salt and pepper. Use your fingers to toss, then spread out over tray in a single layer. Adjust salt to your taste.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until the tips of the florets are slightly browned. The broccoli should be "tender crisp", meaning just cooked through, not overcooked and floppy.
- Remove from the oven and immediately drizzle over the lemon juice and remaining 2 tbsp olive oil. Toss to combine. Scatter over lemon zest and parmesan cheese. Serve immediately.
1. You need enough broccoli florets to fill a baking tray in a single layer. The broccoli shrinks while baking.
2. Reserve the stalks to use in stir fries or finely dice them and use in soups, fried rice, casseroles or even hide them in things like pasta sauces.
3. Please don't cut down on the oil. You simply won't get the caramelisation when roasting.