The chocolate cupcake base is simple. Super moist and super chocolaty! After the cupcakes have cooled completely, I spoon the chocolate ganache on top. It is silky, smooth, and the cupcakes would be good if I stopped here, but to have the ultimate chocolate cupcake, you need chocolate buttercream frosting.
|Ultimate Chocolate Cupcakes|
The BEST chocolate cupcakes you will ever eat.
yield: 28 CUPCAKES
prep time: 20 MINUTES
cook time: 18-22 MINUTES
For the cupcakes:
2 cups granulated sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup Dutch processed cocoa
1 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup boiling water
1 cup whole milk
1/2 cup canola or vegetable oil
For the chocolate ganache:
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup heavy cream
For the chocolate buttercream frosting:
1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 cups powdered sugar
1 1/2 cups mini chocolate chips, for decorating, optional
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, melted and cooled to room temperature
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line muffin tins with paper liners. Set aside.
2. In the bowl of a stand mixer, stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
3. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla. Beat on medium speed for one minute or until batter is smooth. Slowly pour in boiling water and mix until batter is smooth. Don't over mix.
4. Fill liners about 1/2 full with batter. Bake cupcakes for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from oven and cool completely on wire rack before frosting.
5. While the cupcakes are cooling, make the frosting. In the bowl of stand mixer, beat the butter on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes. Gradually add the powdered sugar and mix until the frosting is smooth, about 3-4 minutes. Mix in the vanilla. Drizzle in the cooled melted chocolate and beat on medium speed until the frosting is smooth and creamy.
6. To make the chocolate ganache, add the chocolate chips to a medium bowl. Heat the cream in a small saucepan over medium heat just until it bubbles around the edges or you can heat it in the microwave. Pour cream over the chocolate chips. Let the mixture stand for 30 seconds, then stir until the chocolate melts and a smooth ganache comes together, about 1-2 minutes.
7. Place the frosting in a pastry bag. Spoon the ganache onto the center of the cupcake. Spread to the edge of the cupcake. Let the cupcakes sit until the ganache firms up, about 5 minutes. Pipe chocolate buttercream frosting over the ganache. Decorate with mini chocolate chips, if desired.
if you want to pipe a high frosting swirl on the cupcakes, you might need to double the frosting recipe. It just depends on how high you go with the frosting.